10 Questions to Ask a Web Developer
10 Questions to Ask a Web Developer BEFORE You Commit
CMS, SEO, HTML, CSS…… no idea what any of these stand for? That’s OK!!
When it comes to website development, there are loads of acronyms and a whole load of jargon which appear to make up a completely different language. Some web developers don’t know how to translate all of that into plain English which, understandably, can put you off getting a new website because you simply don’t understand what on Earth is being sold to you.
If you are at the stage where you need a new website, don’t let fear or a lack of understanding put you off taking the next step. This is YOUR business. Your website needs to show just how amazing you are at what you do, so you need to choose the right developer who really takes the time to understand what you want to achieve.
Ask the Right Questions
It’s really easy to lose track of what’s being sold to you if you don’t understand anything about what you’re investing in. For this reason, it’s important that you choose the right web developer for you. Meet with them face to face and ask questions. This is by far the best way of finding out if they’re the right person/team to put your ideas into action. You will have your own list of questions to ask, but make sure you include these as a minimum:
- Is the quote a fixed price or an estimate?
- Is content included?
- What about hosting – is that included in the price?
- Will support and maintenance be included or does that cost extra?
- What if I want to make any changes – what are the costs of future development?
- How easy is it for me to update the website going forwards?
- Will I receive any training?
- Who will own the site/domain?
- How long will it take?
- What Search Engine Optimisation services do you offer?
Getting answers to these questions will give you a clear picture of what the developer is offering, how much you will actually have to do, and how much it will cost so that you can make an informed decision.